"We have the following workshop coming up on Wednesday 20 April, the flyer and registration form is attached. Only 5 places left
Meaningful Engagement in Activities
Session Aim: The session is designed to provide staff with the skills to engage people living with dementia in activities that will provide meaning and purpose to their day. It will assist staff with ideas and resources when providing activity programming in residential aged care, day programs or those providing support to clients living in the community. It will provide practical examples of activities incorporating Montessori principles in dementia care.
Target Audience: Residential aged care staff - , DTs, RAOs, Leisure and lifestyle coordinators, AINs, ENs, RNs, Day centre staff, community care workers, respite care staff.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- Increase staff ideas for suitable activities that incorporate one or more of the five headings: Practical Life; Sensorial; Cognitive activities; Cultural/ Social Connections and Physical activities.
Participants who have attended this workshop have made the following comments:
- It will help me encourage my team members that there are good reasons for doing things well i.e. treating dementia clients as adults - very helpful
- Engaging with people with dementia creatively and appropriately
- Assist in how we plan and implement programmes
- It will help to create more activities for the clients which would bring out the best of their abilities
- Teach everyone that we are in our jobs to help clients to have quality of life and carers to enjoy their respite
- Many ideas for new activities and more meaningful moments
- By helping me give ideas to our carer’s families
- Made my role more meaningful - I can assist frontline community workers with activities for in- home respite
Date: Wednesday 20 April 2016
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Cost: $146 per person
Venue: Alzheimer’s Australia NSW, Dementia & Memory Community Centre, corner Cox’s & Norton Roads, North Ryde
Please could you forward these through your networks.